Going Green at "The Water Guy"
Our Bottles are Green!"The Water Guy" is dedicated to reusing, recycling and reducing waste. When you purchase "The Water Guy" returnable bottles, you help the environment. Once we are no longer able to use our bottles, they are recycled to help Mother Earth by becoming other products, such as carpet fibers and other packaging products. In addition, all of our returnable bottles have no-spill seals for a quick, dry set-up and handles for easy transport. They can fit any water dispenser and are available in both 3 and 5 gallon options.
Ground Water Stewardship
Shinn Spring Water Company is committed to protecting our valuable renewable water resources. All natural spring water sources for Shinn Spring Water Company are produced from natural flowing springs and protected aquifers.
The water sources have undergone significant hydrogeological evaluations to assess any potential impact on area ground water levels and stream flows. This ensures that the spring water we use for bottling does not impact surrounding users and the underground water supply. We continue to work closely with environmental agencies to assure proper resource management. We believe in protection of the water sources and using them responsibly to preserve our ground water supplies for future generations.
We will continue to encourage the use of 5 and 3 gallon returnable water bottles. They are the most environmentally friendly bottled water package available today. Each returnable bottle is tested, washed, sanitized and filled many times and boasts up to 50 turns before its useful life is over. Then, when the bottles life is over, it is recycled for future uses. Virtually 100% of all these discarded bottles are recycled.
Water used in our bottling plant to wash bottles is used 4 times before being sent to the drains. Our bottle washing machine is of European design and is the most efficient model available today. It utilizes the least amount of water possible to effectively wash the bottles in accordance with requirements of the International Bottled Water Association (IBWA) and the rules of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). We will continue to improve the handling and processing of water to minimize waste.
Many of Shinn Spring Water’s raw materials used in the bottling process are received in corrugated boxes. Almost 95% of all corrugated is sorted, stored, crushed and recycled. The remaining 5% of the boxes may show up at your door when we ship something to you via UPS. Please help us protect the environment and recycle those boxes. Through literature, labeling and general education, we will continue the promotion of proper disposal of all non-returnable bottles.
Chemical Free Processes
Shinn Spring Water Company utilizes the latest technologies incorporating ozone (O3) treatment for sterilization of water pipes, storage tanks and finished products. This sophisticated application of oxygen (ozone as O3) in our water production facilities significantly reduces the use of chemical agents and cleansers like chlorine. No hazardous chemicals will come in contact with our water…ever.
Shared Energy Applications
Heat produced in our water bottling plant from equipment like our compressors and steam distillation unit is filtered and vented back into our warehouse to provide thousands of BTU's of valuable supplemental heat sources. This reduces the amount of heat required from our traditional heating system.
The windows in our building offer high energy efficiencies utilizing treatment for double radiant insulation and reflection. Dock doors that are opened within the facility are equipped with speed doors to quickly open and close to reduce the amount of heating and cooling requirements.
"The Water Guy"™ is also dedicated in reducing water waste throughout our facility and is participating in the EPA's new awareness program called WaterSense! Check out their website to see how you too can help reduce water waste.