Hot chocolate is one of those saving graces of winter that many look forward to when the weather starts to get cold. Nothing goes better together than a blanket, a warm fire and a mug of hot chocolate!
December 13th is National Hot Chocolate Day. Whether made from scratch or instant, celebrate with the classic cold weather comfort drink; hot chocolate. These 15 easy hot chocolate enhancements will spruce up instant hot chocolate by packing your mug with tons of flavor.
- Caramel – Add a tablespoon of caramel sauce or take it a step further and add a pinch of coarse sea salt for salted caramel hot chocolate that is to die for.
- Ice Cream – Add a scoop of your favorite ice cream to your mug for extra creamy and thick hot chocolate. Tip: Make your hot chocolate as hot as possible before adding ice cream.
- Cinnamon or Nutmeg – Add a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg to give hot chocolate the perfect winter flavor combination.
- Vanilla Extract – A splash of vanilla extract will give hot chocolate even more soothing effects.
- Orange Zest – Carve three 2-inch-long strips of orange grind and let them steep, providing the perfect citrus kick to your hot chocolate.
- Expresso or Coffee – Add expresso or a splash of coffee for an extra kick.
- Peppermint Stick – Use a peppermint stick as a stirrer or place your leftover peppermint candy from last night’s restaurant trip in your mug for peppermint flavored hot chocolate. This is the perfect addition to hot chocolate when you are sick.
- Peanut Butter – Do you love Reese’s? Add a tablespoon of peanut butter and mix well until melted.
- Hot Sauce – Add a dash of your favorite hot sauce to provide a hot and spicy cold weather beverage.
- Nutella – Who doesn’t love Nutella? Add a tablespoon of Nutella for the perfect touch of hazelnut cocoa taste.
- Fluff – A spoonful of fluff will make your hot chocolate extra creamy. Plus, it is the perfect substitute for marshmallows.
- Honey – Add a spoonful of honey to sweeten your hot chocolate just a little more.
- Maple Syrup – Maple syrup is not just for breakfast! Place some in your hot chocolate to spruce it up.
- Liquor – Many liquors go well with hot chocolate, that is if you are of the legal drinking age. Some to consider are brandy, Kahlua, peppermint schnapps, raspberry liquor, amaretto and Bailey’s Irish Crème.
- Cherries – A few tablespoons of maraschino cherry juice will give you a cherry hot chocolate you cannot resist.
We hope these easy hot chocolate enhancements have inspired you to liven up your next mug of hot chocolate. Maybe our list has sparked you to come up with your own ideas. We would love to hear them!