With new awareness around health problems such as obesity and diabetes, movements to drink more water have started rising on social media outlets. People have begun “water challenges” to lose weight, curb hunger, clear skin and combat health issues. These challenges entail trying to reach a goal amount of water within a 24-hour time period and often lead to quick and noticeable results.
The trend to drink more water has also lead to a new movement to “amp” up water with flavors, carbonation and additional nutrients. These additives are often a great way to break up the monotony of water while avoiding unnecessary sugars and calories and can help you reach your water challenge goals. Some additional ways to reach your water challenge goals are to:
- Do the challenge with a friend or group for accountability and support.
- Use a straw for your water as it often leads to more consumption.
- Set a reminder on your phone for your hourly goals during the day until it becomes second nature.
- Add fresh fruit or cucumber to your water for added flavor.
- Document noticeable changes in your energy levels, skin and weight to keep you motivated.
Like every dietary item, knowing the right amount of water your body needs on a daily basis is key, and drinking an excessive amount of water can actually be harmful. So use a hydration calculator or consult a physician before determining the right amount of water for your challenge.